Saturday, May 23, 2009

Touch and Gos

I see people do touch and gos all the time. My instructor always has me do full stop landings. I was not sure if that was policy, insurance or wisdom, but I listened. The other day, by myself, I decided to do one touch a go. This was not some sneaky attempt. I really felt that I should practice this maneuver. Why? Well, I had it in my head that perhaps it is maneuver that could be used to get off the runway quick while still having sufficient speed when, lets say, a deer or another plane meanders onto the runway. I discovered touch and gos just do not work well in that setting. In a small plane like the Cessna 172, it is easier and safer to just stop in a hurry. There is less danger smashing into a deer while slowing down on a runway then pulling out of ground effect too soon and stalling 50 feet above the runway. So, that will be my last touch go for a while.

At the same time, I heard a pilot announce that he is coming into airport area to land from the South. I was taking off to the South, but my intention was to North. I had already announced this earlier, but he must not have heard me. I kept heading south a little longer and got above pattern height before beginning my turn. I still did not see him. As a reached 90 degrees into my turn, I saw the other plane. It was a large turbo prop or small ject (probably a Citation but it had a Canard look to it) also turning parrellel to the runway. The pilot had announced he was entering downwind. I was not sure if the plane I saw was associated with the call, . It was downwind, but high and another mile out. The pilot must have noticed me or heard my call when I began my turn, so he inquired about my intentions. I told him I was on a downwind leg at two thousand and heading North. I made sure he new I was a Skyhawk. I also stated that I had him in sight. He sped way ahead of me, looped in front of me and did a long final (suitable for a much faster plane).

There was little danger in this situation. Thinking back, I wish I had waited 20 seconds more before turning to the North. Had he been a slow plane closer into the airport, this could have been a more dangerous situation. Proper communication in this situation was critical.

No comments: