Saturday, April 4, 2009

Did Eric B or Eric Bruce ace the PPA knowledge test?

Depends on the perspective. My Medical Certificate, my Birth Certificate AND my US Passport claim that Eric Bruce passed. Since I only entered my middle initial when applying for my Virginia State Driver's Licence, my driver's license and my FAA knowledge test results claim that Eric B passed. What's the difference? The FAA clearly states ( in the last three weeks or so ) that exam proctors must only present the knowledge test to the person whose name EXACTLY matches the name on the presented form of picture ID. Today, that was my driver's license.

What happens next? Not sure. Probably nothing, but I am irritated. The posting page for the exam results CLEARLY request Middle Name, not Middle Initial. This is consistent with the FAA Medical Request Form. But, my proctor MUST match the name EXACTLY to my ID. So, we were FORCED to change Bruce to B. I now have a smaller middlename according to the FAA. Identify Theives!!! Leave it to another technocratic government body to further confuse the issue.

I am a software programmer by trade. I spent two years cleaning up data for a data warehouse. I understand the need for clean consistent data. But there comes a point where simple cleansing rules are required, such as matching the initial B to Bruce. Now, if I decide to become Eric Bruce again, the paper work would be enormous because the FAA cannot hire a descent engineer to write a routine that says IF the user provides ID with an INITIAL for the middle name and the initial matches the presented Middle Name, then consider this individual identification as consistent. Duhhh!!

Anyways, I passed, and I am relieved that this part my journey is over. I just want to apply my knowledge now. I found both ASA Prep Ware and Sporty's $10 online test and practice tools instrumental in my success. Those tool's rock!


My family was happy for me, making me a nice card.

No comments: