Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Crosswind Landings

I soloed today for the second time. After all the crosswind work in the past, my instructor raised my limitations for flying in wind to 15 KTs and 10 KTs crosswind maximums. During my flight, winds were at 13 KTs with variable direction changes resulting crosswind components between 8 and 11 KTs. Very close to my limits!

I went around the pattern once, landed and called it a day. One landing was enough. My landing was fine. With the higher airspeed, I had to hold the plane in ground effect longer, with the wing banked into the wind, as the plane slowed down.

This flight was sort of a test. My instructors were watching from the ground. The test was NOT to see if I could fly a pattern in this weather. The test was to see if I new when to call it quits. I did. I passed.

Some other tidbits:

  • There was a larger multi-turboprop engine plane in the runup area. I pulled into the runup behind but off to the side of the plane to accomplish three goals. (1) The pilot of the other plane could see me. (2) I was no where near the prop blast. (3) I did not get in the other planes path to the runway.
  • Airspeed must be maintained in winds. I kept the flaps at 10 degrees until just about crossing the threshold. I had plenty of runway and I was go to use whatever I needed. I never exceeded 20 degrees of flaps. My airspeed at the time of crossing the threshold was still 70 KIAS. Ground speed was a but slower due to the wind.
  • Good communication avoided any confusion about changes to my pattern today. Ground control directed me to 16L. When ready to takeoff, the tower asked if I was using right or left traffic. I stated left. The tower then cleared me to cross 16L to hold short of 16R. I verified this clearance. When cleared for takeoff on 16R, I reaffirmed with the tower that I was going to use 'right hand' traffic pattern, as I am now taking off from the other runway. Tower kindly explained that they would direct me to 16L for landing, using right hand traffic. Good to go!

No comments: