Friday, February 13, 2009

GA industy is fighting back.

Seems like the GA industry, with its back being pushed against the wall, is starting to push back hard.

AOPA helps balloon operator hit with $8,000 tax bill

Cessna counters critics with new ad series

Proposed GA security regulation criticized in Congress

TSA actions in Nashville cause concern

On the flip side, the FAA is going forward with the SFRA around DC, despite request of re-evaluation from AOPA, local FBOs and local GA pilots. Still no sufficient proof of threat without the ADIZ of efficacy of the SFRA.

Now I am considering whether I should have permitted the TSA to inspect my birth certificate. It just does not add up. I cannot solo without a medical certificate. I cannot get a pilot's license without FAA certification. Why does TSA need to be involved in this process? I will go through regulations again and I will not be so compliant the next time TSA comes poking around without sufficient justification and cited regulations. If I was a commercial pilot, then maybe. But I am just going for my private ticket. Crazy.

So, I think I convinced my instructor that a cross country to Cambridge, MD from Manassas, VA would be a good experience (not the first cross country). I get to fly across a big body of water. I get to fly below class B air space. I get to navigate across the ADIZ. I get to call FSS and determine the activity of several MOA and Restricted areas south the route. Go ahead and look at the sectional to see what I am talking about. In the end, I want to know how to get to Ocean City, MD from Manassas VA for the day without having to go up and over OR far down and under the ADIZ. I just want to fly EAST. That's the freedom I talking about.

Other news: I have not flown in a long time. Weather, sickness, family vacation and a broken front wheel strut have wrenched my training. I am very discouraged student at the moment.

No comments: