Sunday, December 14, 2008

too cold to fly, so why not a mock oral exam?

Really, I wanted to fly. It would have been easier than dealing with my apparent lack of preparation. Yeh, I could tell my instructor the definition Vx, Vy, Va, Vfe, Vno, etc. Could I actually recite the values for the Cessna 172N? Nope. I remembered 85 KIAS for Vfe and 65 KIAS for best glide (roughly, given the weight) and the maximum of 160 KIAS for Vne. That's it. Why? Well, geee, when your flying, it is all pretty much right in front the pilot, with the exception of the weight to Va ratios. I could not explain why carb icing occurs other than it has something to do with the Venturi. Well, duuhhh! Also, I was really keen on designating everything below 14500 MSL and not class B, C or D airspace as G airspace. Why so simple mistakes? Because I skimmed EVERYTHING and did not really absorb details. There is a reason that a syllabus for private pilot is critical to a successful training program. There is just too much material to skim or absorb all at once (unless you have a photographic memory). For this cancer survivor (it is a bit lame, but I will use that as an excuse), I just do not have the retention I did five years ago. Besides, as a computer scientist, it is really easy for me to pick up new concepts after working with computers since I was 10. I have been only working pilot related activities since October. So I am going back and starting on a more methodical approach to studying the material. I am starting on chapter 1 through 3 of the my POH!

Tomorrow, whether I fly or not, I will have these details ready for recall and I will stick to the syllabus.

Fly Safe!

No comments: