Monday, December 15, 2008

Do not let the plane fly you!

Planes are fairly responsive to input from the controls. For example, adding flaps without quickly compensating for a nose-up attitude change results in some undesirable increase in altitude. In general, I think I am a few seconds to slow on dealing with such conditions. A few seconds adds up to altitude changes over the 50 foot margin or error. In the check ride, this type of change is not indicative a pilot in complete control of the plane. It is nice to be at the stage of flying that my instructor is now focusing on these adjustments. This shows advancement in itself.

I am just starting to feel good about my increased flying capability and the bar is raised a notched. Thats what we, as student pilots, want. The bar must continously be raised until we can control the plane safely in different configurations such as sudden wind changes, turbulence, etc. However, it is nice to take a moment to look back and see how are a student has come. Becoming a pilot is a big challenge. I find I have to fight myself on getting discouraged.

The big take-away today concerns the stable approach method of landing. In this approach, the pilot focuses 10 to 15 degrees from the the nose of the plane at flare height. Looking TOO close results in a high roundout. Bingo. My problem in one sentence. Today, I focused farther down the runway. Just changing my focus had an immense effect on performance. I gladly say goodbye to the high round, bottom falling out, big bounce of landing. The plane is grateful too ;-)

No comments: