Monday, June 15, 2009

Ah hah

After a scheduling mishap on Monday, I decided to return the airport on Friday to get some practice time in the pattern. Geoff, my other instructor, wanted me to do no-flap landings. I did not recall doing that, so I invited him up to come up with me after I went out for a 'warm up'. I picked up Geoff after performing 3 short field take-offs and with standard landings. Other than repeatedly forgetting carb heat, I was doing a fine job...until Geoff got into the plane.

I started a normal takeoff with Geoff. We went around and I executed a fine no-flaps landing. I had gone through all the check lists properly (except that carb heat). Geoff was thinking that one more time around would do it since I was flying so well. That is when things went south. On a no-flaps landing, the trim is considerably different. I did not retrim the plan for take-off. So when Geoff asked me to show him a soft field take-off, naturally I botched the procedure. The trim made it difficult to keep the nose down while building up airspeed in ground effect. I had to apply more forward pressure than I was expecting to.

After fixing the trim, I proceeded to do a soft field landing. In prior soft field attempts, I did not have a much of problem. I never bothered to practice them. With higher density altitude and 225 extra pounds in the airplane, I did not demonstrate anything but a THUD. Geoff flew the next round, demonstrating to me what he wanted to see. I watched closely to everything including the power settings. Geoff then had me go around again. In my second attempt, the soft field take-off was fine, with the plane now trimmed properly. The second landing...THUD. So much for soft! At this time, our empty stomachs and the heat were annoying us so we called it a day.

I tried to analyze the situation, asking questions about how much power (1700 RPM maybe) is required for a soft field landind. Geoff kept saying "provide as much power as necessary". I needed to fly the plane on to the runway. It is like flying with the wheels on the ground.

I went out again on Sunday night. This time, the density altitude was higher and the weight was lower. The power setting requirements for a soft field were completely different. It is at this point that the message Geoff attempted to convey to me sunk in. I did not need as much power and my landings were SOFT. I was having a blast, and remembering carb heat.

I was going to go for four landings until bambi decided that 34 Right was a place to park him self. I hear all sorts of deer strike stories. None of them sound good. I kindly notified the tower, waited until they had me and the deer in sight, and then proceeded back to the tie down spot, scaring the deer into grass towards the adjacent runway. I doubt the deer lived past that night. Once deer get into an airport area, they are often terminated.

So, once again, I had some 'ah hah' moments: checklists (keep on them) and do what ever it takes to fly the plane (power, trim, yoke pressures) on to the runway. Obviously, these are broad statements about concepts that I have encountered in prior flights. There comes a time where things start coming together, when the words become actionable, when and a student pilot just 'gets it'. I believe I am at the moment.

1 comment:

Julien said...

Hi Eric. You have deers, we have kangaroos :-) Have fun and keep posting! Julien.