Saturday, January 3, 2009

Uhhh tower, Cessna two niner echo on final for three four right!?

Students can never get sick of pattern work. I am I right? At a business class D airport, listening to traffic is an experience in itself. Today was no exception. My instructor wanted to go over soft field landings and take-offs today. The fun began on preparation for my second trip around the pattern. After identifying kinks in my first attempts, I was ready to demonstrate a check-ride passing performance. At this time, the airport was buzzing with activity. I was waiting for Cirrus followed by a Citation short of the 34R. After the Citation cleared the runway, I was given clearance to take-off. No problems. My second soft field take-off went well. Things were quieting down. Somewhere around my turn onto downwind, the quiet was broken. The radio became active with conversation. Mid-field, still active. Abeam the numbers, still active. Turning to base, still active. At this point, the argument between the tower and a taxiing pilot was starting to get concerning. I could not interject and the idea of a go-around was crossing my mind. Turning to final, still active. Runway is clear. No traffic on approach and no other traffic in the pattern for 34R. I am still descending. Finally, a pause. The conversation is over! Quick, "Cessna two niner echo ON FINAL for three four right". Tower: "Cleared to land, three four right". Phewww!

Now, I am not making any judgements on the tower or the pilot involved in the argument. I will leave that to my instructor. It could have easily been just normal activity. Either way, it is a good exercise in patience and clarity for a student pilot. No matter what the situation, the wheels do not touch the runway without clearance.

So what of those soft field take-offs and landings? Forward pressure is required to hold the nose down during a soft field take-off after the mains leave the ground and before airspeed reaches at least 55 KIAS (Vr) or, better yet, 59 KIAS (Vx). This is an odd feeling. It feels like trying to push the nose back into the runway. But, it was easier than I thought and much more fun than a normal take-off. Short field take-offs are a bit different, requiring more back-pressure after reaching Vr.

Soft field landings made me look like I could land a plane smoothly. I am curious why I did not get this technique introduced earlier in the training. In my mind, it is much easier! With a soft field landing, a little power is used to keep pressure off the mains and hold the nose wheel till the plane is adequately slow to not cause damage or get stuck when the nose wheel contacts the ground. This little power maintains some of the four forces generated from the prop (gyroscopic, torque, p-factor and slip stream) meaning that the compensation for 'no power' is not so sudden. It is easier to hold the plane off and land softly with a little power. In addition, the student gets a better feel of the 'nose up' attitude, including the change in visual cues.

My instructor also provided some of these hints:
(1) When slowing the plane on downwind, use back pressure as the throttle is pulled back and then forward pressure AS the flaps come down. These combined and well timed movements will insure a level flight.
(2) Keep the plane slow on landing (65 knots) and, once over the numbers, start dropping the speed. To much speed raises the possibility of ballooning during the flare.

Next time: Short field landings and take-offs, review of emergency take-off procedures and, appropriately, forward slips.

No comments: